HUD developed the EIV (Enterprise Income Verification) system as a tool to meet the objective of assuring that the "right benefits go to the right persons." The EIV system is a federal database that provides quick, easy access to resident income information. The intent of the EIV system is to streamline and simplify the income verification process at the time of recertification, by providing an independent source that systematically and uniformly maintains income information.
Deadline to Implement EIV
On December 29, 2009 HUD published the Refinement of Income and Rent Determination Requirements in Public and Assisted Housing Programs Final Rule. The Final Rule, effective January 31, 2010, includes the mandatory use of the EIV system.
HUD's EIV SYSTEM: A Quick Rundown
Obtain WASS/Secure System Access: www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/mfh/trx/trxsum.cfm
Coordinator - requires owner approval
Organization vs. Individual
HUD Assigns a WASS User ID
WASS/EIV Coordinator: Complete Coordinator Access Authorization Form and fax to Multifamily Help Desk at 202-401-7984 or email to email@example.com.
Note: In order to be an EIV Coordinator you must also be a WASS Coordinator for your organization. HUD only allows 2 coordinator positions for each organization.
NOTE: CAID# for Illinois contracts is IL800
NOTE: CAID# for Georgia contracts is GA800
Users: Complete User Access Authorization Form and submit to your company's WASS/EIV Coordinator
|| WASS/EIV Coordinator: Establish role for self: HSC; and for Users: HSU
|| WASS/EIV Coordinator: Assigns contracts
- Note: HUD updates its Secure Systems Database every other Thursday. Therefore, it could take up to two weeks before contracts assigned show in the EIV system for a particular user - be patient.
Other Matters of Interest:
Maintaining EIV Access Documentation
Upon obtaining EIV access, the following documents must be retained and made available:
- Written authorization from the owner to access EIV data for the property
• List of EIV Coordinator(s) and EIV User(s) who currently have access to the EIV system
- HUD approved EIV Coordinator Access Authorization Form(s) (CAAFs) for each EIV Coordinator assigned to the property (original and current)
- EIV Coordinator approved EIV User Access Authorization Form(s) (UAAFs) for each employee assigned access to EIV data for the property (original and current)
- Signed Rules of Behavior document for each person who does not have access to the EIV system, but will be reviewing EIV data for authorized purposes
- “Certificate of Completion” of the online Cyber Awareness Challenge Department of Defense Version training program. For more information, see the heading below titled “EIV Security Awareness Training.”
EIV access will be terminated immediately for those whose documentation is not available for review on the day of the MOR.
The Owner/Agent is required to develop policies and procedures regarding the use of EIV data.
EIV Security Awareness Training
Secure Systems users and coordinators who access HUD's Enterprise Income Verification System (EIV) or the Tenant Rental Assistance Certification System (TRACS) are required to complete the Cyber Awareness Challenge each year. Staff with access to EIV reports, because they have access to tenant files, are required to complete this training as well. To complete online security training please follow the steps below:
- Follow the link: http://iase.disa.mil/eta/Pages/index.aspx
- Click on Cyber Awareness Challenge (for DoD Employee) icon on the IA Education, Training and Awareness screen
- Click on Launch Cyber Awareness Challenge Department of Defense Version to proceed with the training
- Proceed with the training
- When the training is complete, print and maintain the Certificate of Completion